Last thursday I had my first day at STEIM. During my three months as an intern I will be working at the hardware department, helping Richard Scott with his WiGi.
- Replace the Buchla Lightning with custom hardware, improving the durability and not constraining his possibilities.
- Improve the ergonomics of the WiGi so that Richard can make full use of its functions.
At my first day I started exploring JunXion and LiSa to get familiar with Richards way of working. I was unable to get LiSa working, but I came as far as making music with a Wiimote, by combining JunXion with Ableton Live.
Some first ideas to replace Scotts Buchla:
- Place cameras in the handsets (big data stream, maybe to slow?)
- Xbox Kinect sensors (slow and low resolution?)
- JunXion video processing (use of color tracking? hard to get rid of noise)
- Wiimote IR tracking (Arduino? how to incorporate? This seems best solution)
The Wiimote has an IR camera which tracks up to 4 IR lights. Maybe this can be uses with Processing for Arduino. JunXion can read out the IR point’s XY, so maybe Arduino is not needed. Im I done when I connect two Wiimote IR cameras? This way everything can be done with JunXion.